Sunday, January 2, 2011

2010 Running Year In Review

With the new year starting I thought it would be a good time to look back at 2010 to see how I am progressing with my quest to become a runner.   This past year  was full of hard training, first times, personal records, weight loss and new equipment.   In training for spring and fall marathons, I ran more than 1200 Miles set personal records in 10K, 10Mile, 1/2 Marathon and Marathon.   I ran 194 days this year averaging more than 3 runs a week with an average distance of ~10K.  With the increased distance training,  my average speed also increased as the year progressed.

I was committed to training and ran good races.   I was given an unbelievable opportunity to run the 2010 Boston Marathon as my first marathon.   I enjoyed the training, the race and the opportunity to raise money for the Michael Carter Lisnow Center in Hopkington, MA.  The race experience gave me the bug to qualify so I can return again.   I trained with the Charlottesville Track Club to prepare for the 2010 Richmond Marathon and although I am far from a BQ; I did improve my marathon time by ~15mins.  

The commitment to training and running is considerable for me and my family.  I am surprised that we are able to fit it into our busy life and work schedule.   I realize that my wife is a huge enabler of my running and without her understanding and support I would not be able to train as much as I did this year.  The race day support from my family and friends this year was spectacular.  There really is nothing like seeing your family in the middle or end of a race when you need a bit of inspiration.   I will never forget seeing my daughter with a sign cheering me on in C-Ville 10 Miler, or my wife at mile 26 in Boston or my Dad and others in Richmond.  

As I increased my commitment to running,  I have found that there is a significant amount of gear for such a simple sport.   As a gadget and number guy,  I was hooked on the the use of a GPS to collect data to help me analyze my progress and training.   I initially used my iPhone with Runkeeper but found that the phone was bulky to run with and I was constrained by the cell network coverage.   To overcome the short comings of my iPhone GPS I acquired a Garmin 405CX and found it to be reliable and have enjoyed having the heart-rate monitor and footpod data.   I do most of my training with early morning runs, during the winter a head lamp is key piece of equipment to get some visibility in the darkness.  The Black Diamond Sprinter headlamp is light weight, very bright and rechargeable.   I continue to stick with ASICS shoes, and wore through a few pairs of ASICS 2140 and ASICS 2150.  I find the ASICS to be comfortable and supportive while not being too clunky. 

I try to share my enthusiasm for the endurance running sport with everyone I can.  I enjoyed the opportunity this year to guide a few new runners in their first races and new distances.   I enjoy the excitement of talking with people about the races and experiences.  It is nice to hear that most runners share the same anxieties and quest to improve in running.  Looking back at this year I see a solid year of growth and accomplishment.  I know that I am stronger runner and I continuing to enjoy running and how it enhances my life.

No comments :

Post a Comment