Saturday, April 3, 2010

Today's Run - 4/3

Race Day today with the C'Ville 10Miler! I have run this course for many long runs during my training program. I was excited to see how my training had prepared me for this race. My taper has allowed me to rest a bit and I felt pretty good this morning. The weather was excellent for a road race.

It was an early start this morning. I left the house at 6:30am after a breakfast of I peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a banana. I made sure to drink plenty of water before the race and had a GU Jell 15mins before the race start.

I found the 9min pace group in the runner corrals. After the gun went off, I found that many of these runners were actually sub-8 min runners. Needless to say, my first few miles were much faster than usual. I decided to see how long I could keep the pace and did pretty well until mile 7. The second half of the course is more difficult than the first half, but even as I feel of the sub 8 min pace I still beat my goal of sub 1:30 by almost 10mins! My gun time finish was 1:20:48 and a new Personal Record!

The C'Ville 10Miler is a home town race that many runners train for and use it to start out the racing season. It was great to see a number of other runners that I know and to run in a big pack of people. The best part of the race was that Emily, Ella and Emily's folks were on the course. I found them at about mile 4 and they had big signs and smiling faces. I was excited to find them and hear their cheers. I was able to run by and grab Ella's hand for support which helped me stay focused for the next couple of miles.

It felt great to share the event with them and knowing that they were there supporting me. It is amazing to finish a race and hear "Good Job, Great Finish!" from your wife and "Go Daddy Go!" from daughter.

No comments :

Post a Comment