Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pickle Juice!?! Really?.... Really?

To create my marathon training program, I provided my coach with problems or injuries encountered during training and races. The thing that stands out for me are the calf-cramps during Boston and towards the end of long runs. Scribbled on my training program was the suggestion to drink pickle juice. My first response to this was to think he was joking and remembering a dare I took from my dad in middle school to drink a jar of pickle juice. I won that bet, because my dad made me stop after big Gulp. I don't remembering getting sick after that and I still eat pickles regularly, but I can't say that I have ever asked for a tall glass of pickle juice on ice since that day.

The more I thought about the suggestion the more I started to wonder if pickle juice will really help prevent cramps. I turned to the Internet and found bunch of references showing scientific research on the topic. 

http://sweatscience.com/pickle-juice-stops-muscle-cramps/

I guess I will keep that jar of juice in the fridge after i eat the last pickle.  But I am still not sure I have the guts to put it in my fuel belt on my next run.

No comments :

Post a Comment