Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Running for a cause

Friends and Family,

As I have shared with many of you, in the last year I started running and it has become a major part of my life. I am excited to announce that I recently started training for my first marathon, the 114th Boston Marathon on April 19, 2010. For added inspiration, commitment and support, I am running for the Michael Carter Lisnow Respite Center in Hopkinton, Massachusetts. The Respite Center is given a limited number of running bibs by the Boston Athletic Association. They provided me with the opportunity to run in the race with their support, and in turn, I will raise funds to support The Center.

The Michael Carter Lisnow Center was founded by Sharon Lisnow and Mary McQueeney to provide emotional and physical support for families of adults and children with disabilities. The Center, founded in 1996, was named for Sharon’s son Michael who was born 16 weeks prematurely and grew to be ten years old, despite facing his own disabilities. The Center offers programs such as after-school care for children, adult day-programs, and employment support for individuals with disabilities. More information is available at their website www.hopkintonrespite.com.

My goal is the raise $2,500 for the Lisnow Center. Should you wish to support me, any contribution would be truly appreciated - $25, $50, $100, or any other denomination – and corporate donations will be accepted as well. The Center is a 501(c)(3) organization, allowing you to take tax deductions for your donation. There are two options for giving:
  • Checks – Make checks payable to The Respite Center, and mail to me in the enclosed addressed envelope. I will mail all donations to the Center on a weekly basis.
  • Online – I created a personal fundraising page for online donations at www.firstgiving.com/whatsdougrunning4
Thank you in advance for joining me in supporting this great cause. You can follow my progress on my fundraising and training (rundugrun.blogspot.com) websites.

Always Running,

Douglas Morrison

No comments :

Post a Comment