Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Running 1/2?

As I learn more about the sport of road running I am finding there is a complete social network, terminology and behaviors of the sport that are completely outside the actual activity of running. For example, there is movement to change the name of a 13.1 mile race. I had not thought the name "1/2 Marathon" as something that would minimize the effort, training or ability when running 13.1miles. Team Pikermi is working to change the name of the 13.1 mile races to a Pikermi. This name was selected for Pikermi, Greece that is roughly the distance between between Marathon and Athens.

I have tried to use the term Pikermi a few times when describing my training and race schedule. Runners and non-runner get a very perplexed look on there face, so I am not sure the new name will stick unless there is a huge ground swell of support and markerting. I must admit I like and agree with the slogan "Because 13.1 Miles should not be considered "only half" of anything!".

1 comment :

  1. Very Interesting. Are you doing the Athens 2500th Anniversary Classic Marathon in Ocotber? We are an official agent in the United States bringing participates and spectators from the United States.. Anyone want to join us?

    ReplyDelete