Saturday, March 19, 2011

Today's Run - 3/19

Today was the last long run before the marathon next weekend. It started out a bit rough and I was surprised on how much effort it seemed to take to hit the 9:45 pace. There was a considerable amount of head wind which may have contributed to the pace difficulties. I continue to test different timings of fueling during my run with the GUs. This time I used a Octane GU at mile 5, and that seemed to work pretty well. Race day fueling will be at miles 5, 10, 15, 20, 24 which is slight adjustment from previous thoughts. I am also concerned with my hydration as I know that I get very dehydrated late in the runs where I have a unquenchable thirst. I will work to drink more earlier in the race to maintain hydration.

Not much on tap this week, just a few small runs early in the week to keep the rust off. The speedwork on Tuesday should help build some confidence for the pace.

I am thinking about following the pace team during the race. I want to understand how they will target the expected pace with either even, negative or positive splits. I will create a mile by mile pace chart just in case I don't like the approach the pace team is taking.

No comments :

Post a Comment